Pokemon: Really running out of ideas

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Elfgore:
Trupish is a play on pollution in america, since Black and White is based off America. That's why I find him acceptable.

I will give you the keychain and add the Chandelier to the list of bad ides. But overall the designs are really good minus two or three pokemon. 6th gen has the coolest fossil pokemon ever, 5th has the coolest dragons, and 4th has... some cool legendaries.

4th also has Pokemon like Lucario, Infernape, Empoleon(My second favorite starter), Garchomp, Staraptor, Luxray, Torterra and Weavile.

Berny Marcus:
Ever Black and White I feel Nintendo has been running out of ideas for the designs of pokemon. I'll point to two pokemon as examples.

Trubbish: Seriously? A pokemon based on garbage? That's really, really bad imo if Trubbish wasn't a sign of how many ideas they were running out, I don't know what is.

Klefki: A key chain like Pokemon, uhh what?

I know not all pokemon designs have to be based on sometype of animal..but a garbage bag and a key chain as pokemon? Seriously Nintendo you can do better.

This is just my 00.02

Edit: And this is not about every design just a few specific ones that look awkward.

Pikachu is just an electric mouse right? Even the name - 'Pika', meaning very small animal and 'chu', the noise Japanese say a mouse makes, are derived from fairly basic and obvious links. The same goes with all Pokemon. I don't see how the quality is dropping. It's the same as it ever was. And that's not good nor bad. For example, Diglett.

Rather than selectively choose examples of current ones you don't like can you give some examples of what a good Pokemon should aspire to be like so we can really understand your argument here?

floppylobster:
Pikachu is just an electric mouse right? Even the name - 'Pika', meaning very small animal and 'chu', the noise Japanese say a mouse makes, are derived from fairly basic and obvious links. The same goes with all Pokemon. I don't see how the quality is dropping. It's the same as it ever was. And that's not good nor bad. For example, Diglett.

Rather than selectively choose examples of current ones you don't like can you give some examples of what a good Pokemon should aspire to be like so we can really understand your argument here?

Actually, "Pika" comes from "Pikapika", the Japanese onomatopoeia for "sparking" (or "sparkling") like from a shorted power point.

Am I the only one who finds poor Stunfisk awesome?

Sorry, but when someone's whole argument falls back on "an ice cream cone, bag of trash, and now keys" as proof that Pokemon designs suck now, is when your argument falls apart. I've done experiments on people who at first say "good Pokemon died with the first 151" by showing them Pokemon from later gens. They say they look alright or even cool, and then I say it's the fifth gen you seem to hate so much, and they can't argue, because they realize they didn't do their Poke-homework.

Plus, the much maligned fifth gen is my favorite now in terms of the Pokemon, so when you say "new gens suck because ice cream! lol" you offend me sir! Also, the sixth gen has proven to be excellent, a key chain Pokemon won't ruin any of the amazing designs, unless you are overly petty. Though petty describes the garden variety "genwunner" very well.

SilverLion:

I like Stunfisk for what it is, it's got good typing, and it's design isn't even bad. It is a bit unattractive and it's call sounds kinda gross. Despite all of that, it's not a bad Pokemon by far.

Everything went downhill from Donphan. That is only because he is the greatest concept there ever was. You would think he would be lonely, at the top like that, fortunately Squirtle also maintains a residence up there.

Berny Marcus:

Daystar Clarion:

Berny Marcus:

And? Your point?

Nobody can be accused of running out of ideas when Hawlucha is around.

I meant not for every pokemon, but some looked just completely ridiculous like Trubbish and Klefki. There designs to me look unoriginal, and thrown there for the sake of making new pokemon species.

Edit: But actually yeah, one can if they find Hawlucha unoriginal :I

So I guess Muk and Voltorb mean nothing...

Gen 1 had a racist stereotype, a fucking mime, and what the hell was Diglett even supposed to be?

Every gen has examples of poor design and great designs.

SilverLion:

Stunfisk is a smug bastard who only derives joy from electrocuting the poor sods who tread on it.

Little bastard.

Berny Marcus:
I know not all pokemon designs have to be based on sometype of animal..but a garbage bag and a key chain as pokemon? Seriously Nintendo you can do better.

Now, I'm sure you've been told by now about how Muk is just sludge, Voltorb is a Pokéball with eyes, etc.

But I think a lot of people overlook the fact that Ken Sugimori is doing all of the Pokémon designs. He's always been doing the designs. They are all him. Just one guy.

And the weird or dumb designs are in the far minority, so I don't see the issue.

Really dude? Gen 1 had Psyduck (literally just a fat yellow duck), Magnemite (a pile of magnets), and Graveller (a ball of rock) among others of equally inspired design.

I dunno what else I can say that this picture doesn't already...

/thread

[quote="Laser Priest" post="9.831853.20315137"]Or Squirtle, the blue turtle. /quote]

Man, you ain't giving Squirtle enough credit. It's a squirrel/turtle hybrid! That's why the tail!

TheEvilCheese:
Hating on Klefki? Hating on the adorable little bastard who steals keys and has some of the best flavour of... well any pokémon?

Fun facts: Klefki fiercely jingles it's keys at attackers to scare them off. It has the prankster ability, which espouses the behavior of key theft and also gives the fairy/steel type a useful niche in the competitive game. Sometimes trainers give keys to Klefki for safe keeping. It is one of the most well designed Pokémon ever and shows how the new fairy typing can be useful defensively.

Plus, Klefki looks absolutely BOSS in shiny form.

I'm totally not using this as a way to show off the shiny Klefki I hatched a few days ago. Not at all. Nope.

OT: Blah blah blah, new designs suck. Blah blah blah, there were bad old designs, too. Same song and dance we've all heard before, with nothing new to add. Why can't we all stop hating on the ice cream and garbage Pokemon (neither of whom are all that bad, despite how wearily often they get brought up in these types of discussions) and just enjoy the game? I know I am.

ElNeroDiablo:

floppylobster:

Actually, "Pika" comes from "Pikapika", the Japanese onomatopoeia for "sparking" (or "sparkling") like from a shorted power point.

Well either the double meaning of Pika was not lost on the person who named Pikachu or the name is slightly less imaginative than I thought. But having seen some Pika in Hokkaido I would think they were aware of it.

Didn't we have this same thread like a month ago? I think Trubbish was even the Pokémon shamed.

Hazy992:

And let's not pretend the early Gens don't have their fair share of stinkers. Voltorb is just a Pokeball with eyes, Oddish is just a blue radish with legs. And what the hell is Unown supposed to be?

Don't forget Grimer/Muk. They're not exactly clever designs.

I haven't played X/Y, but B/W was basically your usual mix of good Pokés and bad Pokés. This is true of every generation thus far.

floppylobster:

Well either the double meaning of Pika was not lost on the person who named Pikachu or the name is slightly less imaginative than I thought. But having seen some Pika in Hokkaido I would think they were aware of it.

Pikachu's just a portmanteau of the noises for sparkle and squeak. Given several Pokémon were named this way, it's unlikely the double meaning is intended. Also, Pikachu doesn't really resemble the pika, which is additionally a lagomorph and not a rodent.

It seems unlikely is all I'm saying.

Berny Marcus:
Ever Black and White I feel Nintendo has been running out of ideas for the designs of pokemon. I'll point to two pokemon as examples.

Trubbish: Seriously? A pokemon based on garbage? That's really, really bad imo if Trubbish wasn't a sign of how many ideas they were running out, I don't know what is.

Klefki: A key chain like Pokemon, uhh what?

This is just my 00.02

Edit: And this is not about every design just a few specific ones that look awkward.

Voltorb/Electrode, Grimmer/Muk, Geodue/Graveler/Golem, Ditto,

all say hi from Gen 1 far as this topic goes.

They were running out of ideas when they created Geodude and Muk. There are shit Pokemon in every generation.

Really now?Why do peoples always bring up Trubish and the ice cream Pokemone whose name I'm forgetting at the moment when bashing the Gen 5 games?Grimer and Muk were piles of sludge,Voltorb was a pokeball with eyes and there are plenty more where that came from.I swear genwhunners get on my nerves when they bash the newer Pokemon games since they are worse than some Zelda fans.

bluepotatosack:
Man, you ain't giving Squirtle enough credit. It's a squirrel/turtle hybrid! That's why the tail!

I can't believe I didn't notice that about one of my favorite Pokemon of all time until now.

I agree with you, Op! why can't pokemon go back to the good ol' creative days! You know, shining examples like Seel, the seal! or its excellent evolution, Dewgong, the Dugong! And how can we forget Pidgey the Pidgeon or Spearow the Sparrow?

Call inanimate objects with faces uncreative all you want, but a purple rat that turns into a fat brown rat isn't any better. Basically what I'm saying is, Don't like new pokemon? don't play new pokemon

Elfgore:
I will give you the keychain and add the Chandelier to the list of bad ides.

Whoa. Whoa. You don't talk shit about my boy Chandelure. Dem stats. Ermahgerd, dem stats. STAB moves + Energy Ball = you win. Also your spelling is atrocious. I'm drunk and I can spell better than you.

I'm sorry, but Vanilluxe is just awesome. It's like pure karmic payback for everyone who made fun of Alakazam just getting another spoon then Kadabra. Well now that second spoon is useful so jokes on you!

Ahem.

'Nuff said.

I, for one am tired of this claim. I wager that alot of the people who say that Pokemon is running out of ideas are blinded by nostalgia to the point where they are unwilling to look past 1 or 2 average designs and see that EVERY gen has it's good and bad Pokemon.
Hell, I think the "bad" designs in Gen 6 are still better than some of the Gen 1 Pokemon.
Keychain Pokemon > Nikki Minaj Pokemon
I thought Trubbish was way more inspired than Muk....
We can have a Raddish Pokemon but not an ice-cream one? (BTW I loved the quirk of adding extra scoops per evolution.)
The designs are improving. There are some really awesome Gen 6 Pokemon. Hell, Sylveon is fast becoming my favourite.

I think there have been both good and bad designs in every generation, and what a lot of people seem to be forgetting about Gen 1 (and 2) is that the designs back then HAD to be simple because of the low resolution of the Gameboy and GBC.

While some of the ideas for pokemon are getting harder and harder to believe, I think that might be because there are simply too many of them (well, how many are there now? I think it's approaching 700 if it's not there already). I pretty much stopped playing Pokemon after platinum (well, it's the last game I bought, I got White 2 with my 3DS XL).

I just hate the ones that defy all logic.

Like they're all suppose to be animals right? Then what the fuck is a Magnamite? What this piece of bolts and screws just came to life one day?

lunavixen:
I think there have been both good and bad designs in every generation, and what a lot of people seem to be forgetting about Gen 1 (and 2) is that the designs back then HAD to be simple because of the low resolution of the Gameboy and GBC.

While some of the ideas for pokemon are getting harder and harder to believe, I think that might be because there are simply too many of them (well, how many are there now? I think it's approaching 700 if it's not there already). I pretty much stopped playing Pokemon after platinum (well, it's the last game I bought, I got White 2 with my 3DS XL).

With Zygarde, the total is around 718 over all 6 generations combined ~so far~ as-of X&Y. Z or whatever else Gen6 throws at us could bump that even more (and looking at numbering Kalos Dex V. Nation Dex, I do see some hints at some currently unreleased Pokemon, with the gaps and jumps in number batches in the Kalos Dexii).

Zachary Amaranth:

floppylobster:

Pikachu's just a portmanteau of the noises for sparkle and squeak. Given several Pokémon were named this way, it's unlikely the double meaning is intended. Also, Pikachu doesn't really resemble the pika, which is additionally a lagomorph and not a rodent.

It seems unlikely is all I'm saying.

Additionally, the phonetics difference between Pika (the Lagomorph) & Pikapika/Pikachu, as Pika (Lagomorph) is pronounced more as Pai-ka (Pi, as in the Greek symbol and math constant) , whilst Pika as in Pikachu is pronounced more as Pee-ka (Pi as in words like "pick" and "pinch").

Generation I had Megneton (who, mind you, is one of my favorite pokemon) - it's quite literally three of it's pre-evolution glued together and somehow counts as a new pokemon. HOW DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE OR FORM OF INTELLIGENT DESIGN.

SaneAmongInsane:
I just hate the ones that defy all logic.

Like they're all suppose to be animals right? Then what the fuck is a Magnamite? What this piece of bolts and screws just came to life one day?

Well, it's got two magnets on either side of it, so maybe they came about because a bunch of scrap metal got stuck between some magnets and that caused it to spring to life? I mean, Deoxys is just DNA exposed to 'space radiation' and Grimer is x-rayed toxic sludge, so maybe magnetic energy has some magical properties to it in the pokeverse?

...I don't know, Magnemite is hard to justify.

Why do so many people with this complaint bring up Klefki?

That's an awesome design for a keychain. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if they made it real.

Anyone actually carefully looked at it? It has a lock for its face, its a key itself as part of the keychain and all the keys on it are different and interesting.

To those of you claim Trubbish and Garbodor are "just garbage", allow me to offer a different theory.

Also, as for Pokemon that are "just multiples of the first stuck together", at least the new ones add some design to the final form, unlike say, Magneton and Dugtrio.

This is quite a subjective opinion, in my opinion. I personally like some of the new Pokemon released in the last two games. My favorite is Vivillion who has a different wing pattern depending on where you are geographically. If anything Pokemon X and Y has some of the best designs. However this is subjective and there going to be people that disagree.

Whats even better is they have become more creative when using the pokedex, no longer will it compare real life animals such as gen 3 ghastly entry "A being that exists as a thin gas. It can topple an Indian elephant by enveloping the prey in two seconds."

Soundwave:

bluepotatosack:

I can't believe I didn't notice that about one of my favorite Pokemon of all time until now.

Blew my mind when the realization first struck (read:when somebody told me about it.)

Nope nope nope, I am not touching this particular topic with a ten foot pole. I do agree that Game Freak is running low in the ol' idea tank, and I do think a key ring and a garbage bag are not very good designs (the second one in particular being a reboot of Grimer, already argued as unoriginal) But you can't win the "Game Freak is out of ideas" When your sole argument is "look at these new dumb pokemon!" There's too many old dumb pokemon for this to be a valid argument.

There ARE valid arguments, but this is not one of them that will get you very far OP. Sorry.

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure you shouldn't mess with Daystar Clarion.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked