Pokemon: Really running out of ideas

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

IllumInaTIma:
Ahem.

'Nuff said.

^ my two favorite gen 6ers to.

and Tyrantrum is a fucking BEAST, the damage I've seen it deal o.0 it's awesome T-T

I would also like to add the other fossil pokemon from Gen 6

Just because they came out with a few Pokemon that don't fit into your ideas of "cute" or "awesome," it doesn't mean that they're "running out of ideas". It just means that the creators of Pokemon have or are catering to people with different tastes than you. I personally love most of the more off-beat Pokemon designs. They're fun. You guys all remember fun, right? In fact, the only Pokemon I don't like are the ones I find boring, like Lucario, or most of the Eeveelutons released after the 2nd generation, and I don't even necessarily "hate" those Pokemon; they just bore me.

SaneAmongInsane:
I just hate the ones that defy all logic.

Like they're all suppose to be animals right? Then what the fuck is a Magnamite? What this piece of bolts and screws just came to life one day?

No, Pokemon are supposed to be monsters (as in, you know, "pocket monsters"). Not only that, but they're monsters as imagined by the Japanese. Haunted or animate objects are a huge part of Japanese folklore, so it only makes sense that things like living trash bags, swords, and keychains would show up in Japanese media based around the existence of monsters. So, yes, a bunch of bolts and screws just magically came to life one day. It makes as much logical sense (and is just as much fun) as a tiny turtle-squirrel hybrid that can spray hundreds of gallons of water out of its body with no apparent source.

Luminous_Umbra:
To those of you claim Trubbish and Garbodor are "just garbage", allow me to offer a different theory.

And just reposting this link because anyone who thinks that Trubbish and Garbodor are somehow bad designs should probably read the article on the other side. They may just find themselves changing their minds about our favourite little trash monsters.

sextus the crazy:

Hazy992:
While I agree that Pokemon like Trubbish are pretty poorly designed, and Stunfisk is probably my least favourite Pokemon ever, Gens V and VI have some great designs.

Pokemon like Haxorus, Zekrom, Pangoro, Greninja and of course Hawlucha (to name but a few) are really awesome designs.

And let's not pretend the early Gens don't have their fair share of stinkers. Voltorb is just a Pokeball with eyes, Oddish is just a blue radish with legs. And what the hell is Unown supposed to be?

Yeah. Pretty much this. Gen one has some of the lamest ones out there. They don't even pretend not to be animals. Beedrill? Seel? Don't nobody give a fuck about them.

Ya, and isn't Mr. Mime one of the regarded as one of the lamest pokemon out there? Also one of the least inspired. There's a Mime, he makes invisible walls or some shit. Lets make a caricature of him and call him "Mr. Mime". Gen 1 has really cool pokemon AND really lame ones, just like EVERY OTHER generation.

SoranMBane:
Just because they came out with a few Pokemon that don't fit into your ideas of "cute" or "awesome," it doesn't mean that they're "running out of ideas". It just means that the creators of Pokemon have or are catering to people with different tastes than you.

Hit it right on the nose, well said

Oh, but a 6 pack of eggs and a Pokeball with eyes were just brilliant design?

Wait! Voltorb's evolving! -Voltorb rolls onto its back- It became an Electrode! Woah!

SoranMBane:
Just because they came out with a few Pokemon that don't fit into your ideas of "cute" or "awesome," it doesn't mean that they're "running out of ideas". It just means that the creators of Pokemon have or are catering to people with different tastes than you. I personally love most of the more off-beat Pokemon designs. They're fun. You guys all remember fun, right? In fact, the only Pokemon I don't like are the ones I find boring, like Lucario, or most of the Eeveelutons released after the 2nd generation, and I don't even necessarily "hate" those Pokemon; they just bore me.

SaneAmongInsane:

Like they're all suppose to be animals right? Then what the fuck is a Magnamite? What this piece of bolts and screws just came to life one day?

No, Pokemon are supposed to be monsters (as in, you know, "pocket monsters"). Not only that, but they're monsters as imagined by the Japanese. Haunted or animate objects are a huge part of Japanese folklore, so it only makes sense that things like living trash bags, swords, and keychains would show up in Japanese media based around the existence of monsters. So, yes, a bunch of bolts and screws just magically came to life one day. It makes as much logical sense (and is just as much fun) as a tiny turtle-squirrel hybrid that can spray hundreds of gallons of water out of its body with no apparent source.

Luminous_Umbra:
To those of you claim Trubbish and Garbodor are "just garbage", allow me to offer a different theory.

And just reposting this link because anyone who thinks that Trubbish and Garbodor are somehow bad designs should probably read the article on the other side. They may just find themselves changing their minds about our favourite little trash monsters.

You sir, I call bullshit on. Friendly bullshit. I don't need another Warning on my healthbar.

They're treated as that worlds animals.

I mean in the Anime, in the game, we never see any other kind of creature.

SaneAmongInsane:
[SNIP]

You sir, I call bullshit on. Friendly bullshit. I don't need another Warning on my healthbar.

They're treated as that world's equivalent of animals, yes, but Pokemon is still fundamentally a fantasy series about magical monsters. It's just a fantasy series about magical monsters that happen to form a working ecology. How is a living creature that looks like or consists of an inanimate object any less acceptable in that setting than any of the other clearly magical and unnatural creatures that inhabit that world? Are Pokemon like Rattata, Pidgey, or Persian (the "biologically plausible" Pokemon) really the only ones you like?

Brian Tams:
Gen 1 had a racist stereotype,

Interesting video on that subject.

On topic: eh, haven't played far into Y yet, so while I haven't encountered many I like yet, that doesn't really mean anything, as I still have much of the game to go. For earlier gens, some good, some bad, I think there have been more bad ones in later games, but that might just be me being more ready to call bullshit now I'm older (like Vanillish, hate that one).

SaneAmongInsane:

SoranMBane:

SaneAmongInsane:

Luminous_Umbra:

I would like to point to point out that had you read the link provided, you would find that a "garbage monster" isn't so crazy. Granted, not exactly like Garbodor or Trubbish, but that is a world where dogs breath fire, cicada shells eat souls, and acorns explode, so it's no more a stretch than anything else.

All generations have crappy pokemon. I think the issue raised here is that later generations have more apparent ones. I will agree and disagree. Yes first gen has a lot of non-animal sort (magnetite, voltorb), though I think those were added to fill in type disparities. There were no almost no straight poison types in first gen that don't look like crap (muk, koffing) and a lack of electric types (thus need for fillers in magnemite, voltorb. Voltorb also fit the "mimic" enemy for the game) The humanoid ones of the first generation need to burn though.
Even still, I think a living dairy treat is a stretch too far, as while some object looking mon could be seen as evolving(no, not poke-volving, real evolution)from environment or mimicing for better surviving, or as a result of toxic sludge creation, or even as a result of ghostly possession, a living ice cream is just stupid. It can't even fit the idea of evolving the look of ice cream as a defensive mechanism as in trying to do so, it means they would just be eaten more.

Back on topic here though. While all generations have some poorly designed ones, I think later generations are worse for two reasons. First, the ice cream one as an example, the basis for them are less and less natural (for the poke-reality) and seem more like it was pulled out of someone's ass. While forgivable in some regards because of reasons explained above, it requires more of a stretch to explain them as anything besides "God decided to give life to this horrible monstrosity". The second reason is that every generation has the same two dozen or so pokemon being rehashed every time. Even ignoring the elemental starters, there is always new beginner bird and rat like enemies, overpowered trio/quartet legendaries, pikachu-like electro mouse mascot, excessive cute mascot and others. Hell, some of the ones people complain about so much are worse looking rehashes of older mon. Trubbish is a muk with a garbage bag exploded on it's head.

That is not to say the later generation are all bad at all, merely it feels with every generation, there is more and more apparent laziness to the new mon as well.

I don't want to go into the anthromophic designs many more pokemon seem to have taken with later generations. From essentially joke characters of mr. mime and Jynx, now starters have become very antromorphoized.

Yep, they certainly are running out of ideas.
Man, didn't you hate it when they had a bunch of balls with eyes and made them different Pokemon? So unoriginal, right?
Voltorb, Electrode, Gastly, Geodude, Graveler, Koffing, hell even Magnemite...
Oh wait, that was the first generation.

I, for one, think that Gen V and Gen VI had some motherfucking great designs.

Daystar Clarion:
Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of Hawlucha being the best Pokemon ever created.

Ever

Hawlucha for World President 2014.

SaneAmongInsane:

Which is understandable. ( I mean, Voltorb. Come on) The problem most people have in this thread is that lately you have genwunners going on and on about how the same holy trinity of bad Pokemon Trubbish, Vanniluxe, and Klefki (formerly taken by Garbodor) and use that as a reason for bad designs like the holy grail of Generation 1 hasn't done that themselves.

SilverLion:
Am I the only one who finds poor Stunfisk awesome?

Nope. I have a pal who absolutely loves the thing.

Zachary Amaranth:
Also, Pikachu doesn't really resemble the pika.

You should classify species with your eye for distinction. I still say there's a passing resemblance.

ElNeroDiablo:

Additionally, the phonetics difference between Pika (the Lagomorph) & Pikapika/Pikachu, as Pika (Lagomorph) is pronounced more as Pai-ka (Pi, as in the Greek symbol and math constant) , whilst Pika as in Pikachu is pronounced more as Pee-ka (Pi as in words like "pick" and "pinch").

Not to mention they don't call a pika a pika in Japan.

floppylobster:

You should classify species with your eye for distinction.

Because previously I was distinguishing them with my...foot?

I still say there's a passing resemblance.

Well, it has eyes...And a nose....

Yeah, any resemblance is very minimal beyond the basics. It looks closer to Ratatta than Pikachu.

And as cool as it might be to think it has some double meaning, it's far more likely that it's just boring old SparkleSqueak.

Rose-tinted glasses. You're wearing them.

It's not fair to compare Dragonite and Ninetails with Trubbish and Vanilluxe and say they're all getting worse.

Pokemon X and Y brought us a MAGE FOX and a SLUG DRAGON:

I don't think I know anyone who could have created those.

So...no you're wrong.

Also Noivern is best

Oh, wonderful, I'm now taking on cosmic monstrosities with sentient keys.

Nintendo is becoming the B-movie producer of games... say, has anyone here ever seen Sharktapus? That's basically what Pokemon is becoming.

TimeLord:
Gen 1 had a Pokemon made of sludge, a Pokemon based on a magnet and what the hell as Jynx supposed to be again?

I'd say Pokemon designs might actually be getting better

They put eyes on a pokeball and called it voltorb. Then turned it upside down and called it electrode.

Also, I love how these topics come every gen and all go exactly the same way.

I think what you will find OP is that Goomy doesn't care what you think of the Gen 6 designs, because it's busy being awesome.

Pokémon running out of ideas? I disagree. There will always be some bad designs. I may not like Trubbish all that much, but I will protect him, because no-one ever complains about this one:

Why do he get a free pass? It's a pile of goo. Also they did give us some cool designs this gen; Tyrantrum, Greninja, Avalugg and some mega evos.

They are not running out just yet, it seems.

SaneAmongInsane:

Actually...yeah. Pretty much.

Like how Trubbish is living trash, Muk is living...muck. etc etc. It's pretty clear that there's something in the pokemon universe that's turning inanimate objects into pokemon. (hint, it's probably the unown with their reality warping powers)

Being internet old, I've been hearing this argument since saving up my allowance for Gold on my GB Pocket. Then the next game comes around and people are always 'NOW they're running out of ideas'. The ride never freaking ends.

I feel like they're running out of ideas because the lineup for this gen is small, so far. Just going by serebii.net, the pokedex only includes 68 new pokemon which is the smallest number of the generations so far. I also had my suspicions which I was watching a Let's Play of the game and you ran into many pokemon from earlier generations. It's cute and nostalgic and all, but it make the game feel like it's trying to hide its shortcomings with filler.

Wait until they release Pokemon Fusion... Combine any 2 Pokemon and get something else, a whole new can o' worms that prints money...

I don't think Game Freak is running out of ideas, in fact they seem to be doing just fine.

I don't know how they create SO many Pokemon designs and ideas so frequently and abundantly over the years, it blows my mind. I'll admit though, there were some serious duds lately such as Trubbish and Vanillish but I mean come on give Game Freak a break, almost every other Pokemon in Black & White were awesome and that's just how I feel about X & Y.

I hope Game Freak is proud of their latest iteration because it's an achievement on many levels.

All im going to say is that pokemon has always had "bad" or lazy designs. Your nostalgia goggles are probably too thick to see it.
See- Magnemite, Muk etc.
Seriously, go back and take a real, hard look at the original 151.

Nexxis:
I feel like they're running out of ideas because the lineup for this gen is small, so far. Just going by serebii.net, the pokedex only includes 68 new pokemon which is the smallest number of the generations so far. I also had my suspicions which I was watching a Let's Play of the game and you ran into many pokemon from earlier generations. It's cute and nostalgic and all, but it make the game feel like it's trying to hide its shortcomings with filler.

That's because GF had double duty creating new pokemon and Mega-evolutions for 50 or so old pokemon.

Besides, I'd rather have 68 good pokemon, than 100 pokemon with only 68 of them good.

TimeLord:

RJ 17:

TimeLord:
and what the hell as Jynx supposed to be again?

Some questions are better left unanswered.... >.>

True. Thank god they haven't given it an evolution yet.

But, if they did... No matter what the evolve version of Jinx looks like... I'll still nickname it Mr. Popo...

OT: If I had a nickel-nah! I'm not going to start off with something like that... Instead, I'm going to say that that's just how all the Gens roll... You get a mixed bag of the cool, the not-so-cool, the cute, the "other" kind of cute, and everything else in-between... The designs might be the first thing you see, but once you go into battle with one as a partner is a whole other ballpark (kinda) when you think about it...

I still don't get why there are those that get so worked up over Pokemon designs between Gens, but at least that just proves that Pokemon's not really going anywhere if evryone's still talking about it one way or another... Am I right?

*dead silence*

I'll get back to playing Y, then...

undeadsuitor:

Nexxis:

That's because GF had double duty creating new pokemon and Mega-evolutions for 50 or so old pokemon.

Besides, I'd rather have 68 good pokemon, than 100 pokemon with only 68 of them good.

Let's not forget the whole 'making brand new 3D models and animation sets for all 710 pokemon, including forme changes, variations in models and re-recording cries for the previous 649 to bring every generation within the same quality level instead of having the Gen 1's still sounding like they're coming straight off a GBC'.

With all that work they needed to do, only 68-ish new pokemon instead of 100+ is kinda understandable. Considering the fact that a lot of those pokemon would have just been relegated to filler (Kinda like Seaking, Sunflora, Masquerain, Chingling and Swoobat, all of which suck in both standard and competitive play), having a small generation this time round isn't exactly something I'm going to be mad about.

Opinions exist,

and pokemon is continuing to sell several kajillion copies every time it sees a new release so...

the general zeitgeist seems to be that no, they're not running out of ideas.

To illustrate my first point; you may not like klefki or trubbish, but I think they're both adorable. Trubbish looks much better and cleverly designed to me than grimer, the sewage pokemon from Gen I that is literally just a pile of goo. Then again, garbador is ugly and muk is cool looking... whatever.

Berny Marcus:
Ever Black and White I feel Nintendo has been running out of ideas for the designs of pokemon. I'll point to two pokemon as examples.

Trubbish: Seriously? A pokemon based on garbage? That's really, really bad imo if Trubbish wasn't a sign of how many ideas they were running out, I don't know what is.

Klefki: A key chain like Pokemon, uhh what?

I know not all pokemon designs have to be based on sometype of animal..but a garbage bag and a key chain as pokemon? Seriously Nintendo you can do better.

This is just my 00.02

Edit: And this is not about every design just a few specific ones that look awkward.

I'm not seeing how that argument is different from the pile of sludge which is muk, the pokemon that are shaped literaly like animals with no really variation and named thusly (ratatta, ekans), the ball pokemon voltorb (and in reality is just a pokeball with some eyes and and its evolution which is shockingly just a flipped over bigger pokeball with eyes and now a mouth), or the host of terrible designs they've been doing since the first gen. Such as:

and

not to mention how god awful green sprites look now.

Besides, looking at klefki, if I understand his inspiration correctly he's pretty cool. Its about a keychain that was abandoned for a century and was given life through so minor god/goddess type deal and no goes around collecting misplaced keys and sealing something away while doing so. If thats right thats kinda badass.

Shanicus:

undeadsuitor:

Nexxis:

Let's not forget the whole 'making brand new 3D models and animation sets for all 710 pokemon, including forme changes, variations in models and re-recording cries for the previous 649 to bring every generation within the same quality level instead of having the Gen 1's still sounding like they're coming straight off a GBC'.

With all that work they needed to do, only 68-ish new pokemon instead of 100+ is kinda understandable. Considering the fact that a lot of those pokemon would have just been relegated to filler (Kinda like Seaking, Sunflora, Masquerain, Chingling and Swoobat, all of which suck in both standard and competitive play), having a small generation this time round isn't exactly something I'm going to be mad about.

that too

even more

hell, the 3d models made the old pokemon feel new to me. If someone hadn't mentioned that there were only 60 new pokemon, I would never have noticed.

Nexxis:

I was bummed out by this as well. But I would be willing to bet a lot of effort went into innovating the game since the couldn't recycle certain elements from older games like they could before so it took away the time they could but into coming up with new Pokemon designs.
Plus, I can't help but feel that mega-evolutions were a bunch of our "new" pokemon. That's a poor excuse however, since there are only about a dozen of those.

OT:
I just, well, strongly disagree with you OP. Mostly because your defense is poor. You say the garbage bag and the key-chain Pokemon are unoriginal, but they actually are for the Pokemon universe because there have been no Pokemon like them in the past. To me, they would be running out of ideas if they started to repeat designs. Like the Pikachu-like pokemon like Plusle and Minium or the constant bird pokemon like Pidge, Fetchling, Starly ect. Though even these examples are obviously a traditional thing that Nintendo does on purpose.
This is also why the counter argument to yours i.e What about Grimer or Voltorb? doesn't hold water for me either. Even Stunfisk (who actually is really cool looking to me) and Jinx/Mr.Mime can be argued as "original". They may be ugly designs, but at least they are different or original for that universe.
Personally I feel that these pokemon are unoriginal, if only because there are other unrelated pokemon that look so similar.

This of course, is only about pokemon in terms of design and not names.

Hazy992:
While I agree that Pokemon like Trubbish are pretty poorly designed, and Stunfisk is probably my least favourite Pokemon ever, Gens V and VI have some great designs.

Pokemon like Haxorus, Zekrom, Pangoro, Greninja and of course Hawlucha (to name but a few) are really awesome designs.

And let's not pretend the early Gens don't have their fair share of stinkers. Voltorb is just a Pokeball with eyes, Oddish is just a blue radish with legs. And what the hell is Unown supposed to be?

How could you hate Stunfisk? That horrible little thing is HILARIOUS looking. Then again, I might just play too much Dungeons of Dredmor.

Mooboo Magoo:

Hazy992:

How could you hate Stunfisk? That horrible little thing is HILARIOUS looking. Then again, I might just play too much Dungeons of Dredmor.

I think it's because it reminds me of a rotting fish, like an old kipper, that you'd see in bins in cartoons, so I then I start imagining it smells D:

Plus I just plain don't like its design, and it because it doesn't evolve or anything it just seems kind of 'there' and so a bit pointless.

Hazy992:

Plus I just plain don't like it's design, and it because it doesn't evolve or anything it just seems kind of 'there' and so a bit pointless.

Yeah I feel this way about most pokemon that can't evolve.

But stunfisk is actually hilarious looking in X/Y because it's so flat (as opposed to the sprites where it was always angled to show what it looked like from slightly above)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked