Does this game exist?

I'm guessing no, but it's worth a shot. Basically I've been looking for a game that fits this description for awhile but everything I try just doesn't scratch the itch for me.

I want to play a game that has survival aspects like DayZ/Rust, but also some kind of endgame like territory locking or something of the sort. DayZ and Rust are just deathmatches with no real point, Nether is also just a free for all despite the territory and tribe systems. PlanetSide 2 was another game i thought looked awesome (despite being totally different from the ones above) but again, just no real point to the endless combat.

Basically something like The Division is what I'm looking for, but that game is a long way off. Either a survival MMO that has something to do besides craft and shoot other people or even just a PlanetSide 2 type game that has something to do besides fight pointless battles. Is there anything that's currently out now that comes even close to fitting the description and doesn't suck? My hope was that maybe there were some indie games that kind of fit the bill that I hadn't heard of.

Have you tried any of the s.t.a.l.k.e.r. games? They're kinda like a hardcore fallout game. It's not multiplayer but it sounds kinda like what you want.

ThatQuietGuy:
Have you tried any of the s.t.a.l.k.e.r. games? They're kinda like a hardcore fallout game. It's not multiplayer but it sounds kinda like what you want.

I tried and enjoyed SOC for awhile. But yeah I should have specified I'm looking for something more on the multiplayer side than single.

If you like the horror aspects of some of these MMOs, I might recommend the Secret World. As long as you don't mind there being less than 25 people on the server at any given time. But TSW doesn't have much in the way of crafting other than assembling item drops and gameplay is rather Guildwars 2 style.

It's definitely a different play style, but you might look at Haven and Hearth (http://www.havenandhearth.com/). It requires survival (hunger/stamina/etc), isn't a deathmatch (players can kill each other, but very few actually do), and you can claim territory. There is also permadeath, though this is mitigated somewhat by the ability to make a new character as a descendant of one of your previous deceased ones who will inherit your claim (if you have one) and can recover a percentage of the XP and stats the previous character had if they find their body, plus recovering any items still on the body.

Or you could join the long, long wait for ReRoll (http://rerollgame.com/).

wildcardcharlie:
Basically something like The Division is what I'm looking for, but that game is a long way off. Either a survival MMO that has something to do besides craft and shoot other people or even just a PlanetSide 2 type game that has something to do besides fight pointless battles. Is there anything that's currently out now that comes even close to fitting the description and doesn't suck? My hope was that maybe there were some indie games that kind of fit the bill that I hadn't heard of.

Charlie, I know exactly the itch that you're talking about. I had really hoped that PS2 would allow for more "permanence" in taking over territories at the like, kind of like the continual world of EVE Online, but it's unfortunate that that game was rendered a little more temporary.

I'm also really looking forward to The Division, but I'm still a little skeptical, I guess. A lot of these games have the potential for that kind of thing, but in the effort to keep everything "accessible," a lot of multiplayer developers gear towards ease of success, which makes the consequence-focused nature of games like DayZ and the like more rare, unfortunately.

In a single-player game, the last time I had something close to that kind of experience would have to have been Far Cry 3 - That game would have made a VERY interesting base for a multiplayer game across the entire island. Taking bases, stalking prey, working together to capture something, or to take it from someone else...

It's sad that all we seem to end up with is yet another deathmatch simulator. Something even just slightly outside the box could be so much more interesting.

Depends.. fingers crossed when Project Zomboid's multiplayer gets working properly, this might fit your criteria providing you're happy with a low tech isometric graphics engine.

goose4291:
Depends.. fingers crossed when Project Zomboid's multiplayer gets working properly, this might fit your criteria providing you're happy with a low tech isometric graphics engine.

Ooh, thanks for reminding me about Project Zomboid!

For reference, OP.

FizzyIzze:

goose4291:

Ooh, thanks for reminding me about Project Zomboid!

For reference, OP.

I actually own that game, barely tried it so far mainly cause of the absence of multiplayer. I'll try it again at some point.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked