The Steam summer sale contest! *FINAL SHOWDOWN*

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I just heard about the points contest this morning and not an hour later I hear its screwed.. I wish they would have made points based solely on achievements you unlock that day. It would have been a fun contest and those guys that want to spend money could have spent cash on actual games, supporting steam and developers.

Is this how that works? I thought team membership was randomized at the beginning of each day but then I did not really read the rule thoroughly.

so I gained over 50 points so far and haven't got a team switch or point steal ;p Where is all this junk.

I am in the Purple Team...........Do I must feel bad about it?
Also how is this work again? I will get cards or a game?
Btw, I don't know what the f*ck happening. I just take part of it.

Ultratwinkie:

I mean, look at the score at the time of writing:

purple - 405K (biggest point stealer)
Green - 358K
Pink - 351K
Blue - 343K (another team kicked when its down)
Red - 325K (most hopeless, points kept being stolen to kick a team when its down).

The people on the other teams don't even bother competing anymore. The reddit groups dedicated to steam and the teams OTHER than purple are full of frustration.

If you were to check the daily breakdown you would realize that the most points are in fact stolen from the Purple team, not the others. The Purple team has lost over 20000 points due to stealing from the other teams. In fact several hours ago the Green team was in the lead. So evidently you are incorrect there.

Also the "contest" is utterly silly to begin with because you have to consider that only 30 people out of any winning team will get free games (the top 3 of their wishlist). And to be even considered for that chance, in case your team actually wins, you have to craft badges to earn points for your team. If you are simply in the purple team but dont earn points, you dont get a chance to be one of the 30 people to win. There is also nothing about how the people who contribute the most have a higher chance of winning. So you have equal chance to get free games with 1 point as the guy who earned 2000 points for the team.

To get steal/bonus tokens, or team switch tokens you have to craft the summer sale badge, which you gain cards for by buying games, or via contest (2 if your team wins, otherwise 1) and votes (1 per 3 community votes). So at the end of the day, the contest is silly because they could have made it so there is a single team, out of that team 200 people who have contributed points in some way have a chance to get 3 games free.

AdagioBoognish:
I just heard about the points contest this morning and not an hour later I hear its screwed.. I wish they would have made points based solely on achievements you unlock that day. It would have been a fun contest and those guys that want to spend money could have spent cash on actual games, supporting steam and developers.

It used to be that way, but developers stopped thinking of Summer and Christmas achievements so they did this.

It would have been nice because that contest was a game of "who owned the most games and who played them" than who can buy more cards from the market. Reddit posts say these people have done this before, and its sad.

But then again, they rigged the golden wrench contest too.

A-D.:

Ultratwinkie:

I mean, look at the score at the time of writing:

purple - 405K (biggest point stealer)
Green - 358K
Pink - 351K
Blue - 343K (another team kicked when its down)
Red - 325K (most hopeless, points kept being stolen to kick a team when its down).

The people on the other teams don't even bother competing anymore. The reddit groups dedicated to steam and the teams OTHER than purple are full of frustration.

If you were to check the daily breakdown you would realize that the most points are in fact stolen from the Purple team, not the others. The Purple team has lost over 20000 points due to stealing from the other teams. In fact several hours ago the Green team was in the lead. So evidently you are incorrect there.

Also the "contest" is utterly silly to begin with because you have to consider that only 30 people out of any winning team will get free games (the top 3 of their wishlist). And to be even considered for that chance, in case your team actually wins, you have to craft badges to earn points for your team. If you are simply in the purple team but dont earn points, you dont get a chance to be one of the 30 people to win. There is also nothing about how the people who contribute the most have a higher chance of winning. So you have equal chance to get free games with 1 point as the guy who earned 2000 points for the team.

To get steal/bonus tokens, or team switch tokens you have to craft the summer sale badge, which you gain cards for by buying games, or via contest (2 if your team wins, otherwise 1) and votes (1 per 3 community votes). So at the end of the day, the contest is silly because they could have made it so there is a single team, out of that team 200 people who have contributed points in some way have a chance to get 3 games free.

Nope.

You can get summer cards by crafting any badge. I have been crafting summer badges for days before this sale because I knew the price shoots up on the first day on all cards. I got a foil, and sold it within 24 hours for profit.

Bars on the bottom mean points they have stolen. I know this because I saw my team lose points and no bars at the bottom showed up. I also saw purple's numbers drop and no bars showed up below them. The bars on the bottom mean how much you stole from others, not how much was stolen from you.

I have been checked the contest every so often, as well as the market. Purple has been in the lead for hours, and they have pretty much had the lead since 2 hours after the contest started. Red was crushed by purple.

and yes the contest is meaningless, that's why I asked if anyone else thought it was ridiculous to spend this much on 2 cards and 3 free games during a SALE.

Ultratwinkie:

Nope.

You get summer cards by crafting any badge. I have been crafting summer badges for days before this sale because I knew the price shoots up on the first day on all cards. I got a foil, and sold it within 24 hours for profit.

Bars on the bottom mean points they have stolen. I know this because I saw my team lose points and no bars at the bottom showed up. I also saw purple's numbers drop and no bars showed up below them. The bars on the bottom mean how much you stole from others, not how much was stolen from you.

I have been checked the contest every so often, as well as the market. Purple has been in the lead for hours, and they have pretty much had the lead since 2 hours after the contest started. Red was crushed by purple.

and yes the contest is meaningless, that's why I asked if anyone else thought it was ridiculous to spend this much on 2 cards and 3 free games during a SALE.

Yes you also get one by crafting badges, but i figured that was rather obvious since you also gain points doing that. Anyhow if the bar shows points stolen by a team, not from a team, then the whole point stealing token is utterly stupid since there is no way to check who gained X amount of points stolen from a team (example there is a moment where purple apparently stole 3k points but only got 600-something) so you could steal them back for your team, so i assumed it was that it showed how many points were stolen from a team, rather than it being just a measure how many points that team stole from the others.

Its still utterly silly, but Purple wasnt that much in the lead after it started, Red was screwed from the start because EVERYONE was at least 30k points ahead of it, not just purple. And as i said Green was in the lead by 10k points for a while as well, the massive lead that purple has now only happened in the last..10 or so hours where i actually slept.

Posted this in the other thread:

"Sadly no games I want on sale yet, at least not daily deals. My bold prediction for how this whole team thing will turn out is that the one same team (looks like purple) that happened to get the most active badge collectors will win everyday. So it won't really work out to be much of a competition. More likely those with the disposable income to be steam level 200 and up will just buy the whole thing."

Totally called this. Not that I'm proud of that, as a member of team Blue.

point are reset every day, come on red maggots, we gotta do this

i dont think theres anything wrong with the contest, it just gives everyone something to do and more ways to earn cash, you said it yourself, tokens go for high prices, imagine crafting one of em

you dont need to be on the winning team to get some reward

hell yeah red team is kicking ass right now

get rekt purplies

NuclearKangaroo:

i dont think theres anything wrong with the contest, it just gives everyone something to do and more ways to earn cash, you said it yourself, tokens go for high prices, imagine crafting one of em

Everyone who can or is willing to spend money first, mind. Would be nice if there was some...I don't know, gaming-related way to participate, as opposed to just throwing money at the screen.

Vegosiux:

NuclearKangaroo:

Everyone who can or is willing to spend money first, mind. Would be nice if there was some...I don't know, gaming-related way to participate, as opposed to just throwing money at the screen.

i agree, maybe some special archivements like back in my day

i still think its fun, most people are going to buy games regardless, they can play those games and earn cards and craft em into badges and stuff like that to earn points for their team

it could be better, but i still think its nice

Something I've noticed.

Steam takes a 5% cut on card sales
Steam then also gives a 10% cut to the developers from the sale.

So all these insane price jumps making cards worth more has meant that developers are getting some money out of this. Also cards are now being given value (even if it's mostly games with easy to craft badges seeing the biggest jump)

The sad thing is that it could be a guaranteed fair "competition" if they only made one change:

Shuffle the teams each day.

But they won't. As cool as Valve are, they are also extremely slow and pretty inflexible.

Wait, it's hopeless for red team? Because I just checked and they're in the lead right now.

EDIT And now it's a close second. Still, big step up from last place.

The_Kodu:
Something I've noticed.

So all these insane price jumps making cards worth more has meant that developers are getting some money out of this. Also cards are now being given value (even if it's mostly games with easy to craft badges seeing the biggest jump)

yeah, next time ill wait after or before a sale before buying cards, last few events only increased their price a bit instead of lowering it, and i want to craft some of the badges

NuclearKangaroo:

The_Kodu:
Something I've noticed.

yeah, next time ill wait after or before a sale before buying cards, last few events only increased their price a bit instead of lowering it, and i want to craft some of the badges

I've had fun so far selling off the summer sale cards and using the money to buy other less inflated cards as some cards have seen next to no rise in price due to needing quite a few to craft certain badges.

erttheking:
And now it's a close second. Still, big step up from last place.

Second place is the first loser, in this case.
Red obviously tried to game the system by not crafting as much in the first day, however the Purple lead seems to be growing, again. That's what happens when one team has the most resources and people.

Leatherhead:

erttheking:

Red obviously tried to game the system by not crafting as much in the first day, however the Purple lead seems to be growing, again. That's what happens when one team has the most resources and people.

I dunno, it really loos like it's going to be a close one. Red could easily win this one.

erttheking:

Leatherhead:

erttheking:

I dunno, it really loos like it's going to be a close one. Red could easily win this one.

aw that's cute, purple was at work all day so we didn't have time at all to buy games or craft badges, now that we're all getting off work now.... ;)

GG red kiddies, you're getting wrekt now.

That's what happens when one team has the most resources and people.

/mericuh

seriously though, purple did get stacked...among all my steam friends I know of, maybe one or two of them have a point or two while I've contributed over 20 points in the past two days.

What's the point of spending that much money for a contest?

Also go Green team! It's the equivalent of rooting for the Spanish in football.

Was team placement random at the start? I wound up on blue and it doesn't look like we're going to go far.

Still, it's not like I can be much help. You only get the summer cards if you're at a certain level, and since I'm only level 3, all I get for my activities is a message that my cards are being stored and will be awarded to me when I hit level 8. So I guess I could craft badges for games I already own? Not really... only two games I own have cards available for them. So I'm not much help for my blue team.

Which is the long way of saying that I don't have a single chance to win anything regardless of what I do. Ah well, hopefully some games I want come up for sale.

I'm just sitting here selling all of my cards to make a bit of coinage to buy cheap games.

People taking steam seriously, lol.

man theres like a cold war going on between the red team and the purple team right now

better red than dead purple scrubs

Only after a few hours did I realize how stupid the system was actually, especially the minimum level before you can really start doing anything. Steam have practically turned their platform into an F2P (P2W) MMORPG, the only saving grace being that only 30 people get to "WIN" each day, I really pity those that rigged the contest, that guy on your team that contributed 1 point per day stands as much of a chance to win as you do. They only made this worse by allowing team switching. Maybe they're just doing it for shits and giggles though, they have that money to spend, I don't think their logic is flawed to the extent that a chance to win 3 games (even if full price) beats spending hundreds to rig a contest.

For those that aren't on purple team, here's what to do to get the most out of the situation, either switch to the purple team (least optimum choice because tokens are expensive), or stay on your team and just contribute 1 point per day, then sell those summer cards of yours, don't get delusional.

It's like the Hunger Games or something. We're given a prize and the hope that we'll win but in reality the government/Valve is in total control. Or at least that's the conspiracy floating around now.

AmberSword:
Only after a few hours did I realize how stupid the system was actually, especially the minimum level before you can really start doing anything. Steam have practically turned their platform into an F2P (P2W) MMORPG, the only saving grace being that only 30 people get to "WIN" each day, I really pity those that rigged the contest, that guy on your team that contributed 1 point per day stands as much of a chance to win as you do. They only made this worse by allowing team switching. Maybe they're just doing it for shits and giggles though, they have that money to spend, I don't think their logic is flawed to the extent that a chance to win 3 games (even if full price) beats spending hundreds to rig a contest.

For those that aren't on purple team, here's what to do to get the most out of the situation, either switch to the purple team (least optimum choice because tokens are expensive), or stay on your team and just contribute 1 point per day, then sell those summer cards of yours, don't get delusional.

red team is currently winning, the scores are reset each day, yesterday red ended up last, but today, at the very worst theyll end up in second place

i do admit they shouldnt have put the level 10 requirement, im level 13 so its not an issue for me, but a LOT of the best features on steam right now are behind level 10 (such as booster dropping and screenshots showcase in your profile), altough if you simply use the cards you normally get by playing and trade with them to complete collections, i bet you can end up as level 10 easily, each game badge gives you a 100 XP boost, each game with trading cards drops half of the cards, so if you are level one, as long as your library includes atleast 20 games with trading cards, you might craft and trade your way to level 10 without paying an extra cent

NuclearKangaroo:

red team is currently winning, the scores are reset each day, yesterday red ended up last, but today, at the very worst theyll end up in second place

i do admit they shouldnt have put the level 10 requirement, im level 13 so its not an issue for me, but a LOT of the best features on steam right now are behind level 10, altough if you simply use the cards you normally get by playing and trade with them to complete collections, i bet you can end up as level 10 easily, each game badge gives you a 100 XP boost, each game with trading cards drops half of the cards, so if you are level one, as long as your library includes atleast 20 games with trading cards, you might craft and trade your way to level 10 without paying an extra cent

Good points, though as someone else said, second place doesn't mean dog shite in this contest, its either first or GTFO. I know the scores are reset each day, problem is, the players on each team are carried over, so the team with the most tendency to spend will probably already have an advantage, add to that the possibility to switch teams, and you'll basically see the same team day and day again in the top 2 spots. The reason why I say top 2 spots is because the other teams, like the red team right now, can probably game the system as well by pouring all they have on a certain day, problem is they are limited to that one day, and also the level of cooperation displayed by random strangers on the internet (not very much in this case). I do hope I'm proven wrong on this one, but right now it totally seems that way.

Also now that I think about it, the level requirement is pretty arbitrary, by taking part in anyway you level up in the process, so I guess there's that. I'm level 5 right now, so I'll just stick to crafting 1 badge per day (contributing 1 point), then get to level 8 and sell off all my summer cards when they're going high.

snip trying to get rid of this post

gmaverick019:
snip

This if I recall correctly is actually a repost of a video called "Hitler's Epic Quest for the Steam Summer Sale" an exact copy of a video released in 2012 just to grab attention, don't give him that which he desires.

I think it's super fun, the atmosphere about it is funny.

Purple is the royal color, and we all know what happened to them

Green was top-tier yesterday, we will be again.

AmberSword:

gmaverick019:
another steam sale video has popped up that is worth watching:

actually tagged together quite nicely, albeit long as shit

This if I recall correctly is actually a repost of a video called "Hitler's Epic Quest for the Steam Summer Sale" an exact copy of a video released in 2012 just to grab attention, don't give him that which he desires.

yeah figured it might be, it's been a while since I've seen a hitler video so was surprised. Thanks for that, I edited it out.

Go Pink? We are the middle child. Too good to receive pity, too bad to actually do anything.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked