Does anyone else wish Overwatch wasn't another co-op shooter?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

...and no, not just because we have loads of those already (Team Fortress 2, Borderlands, Loadout, etc., etc.).

I watched the cinematic trailer first, and I liked what I saw--there's this cool-looking, colorful setting, a world with an apparently well-fleshed-out backstory to it, lots of unique characters, and it even has a bunch of impressive female protagonists (well, aside from Purplecleavage McBrokenspine, anyway). I'm watching that first trailer, and I'm all, "yep, I'm into this. If it turns out to be some sort of Mass Effect-ish action RPG thing, I'm sold."

Then I get to the gameplay videos, and...nope. It's another co-op shooter.

Personally, I'm the sort of gamer who, with few exceptions, needs a good immersive story to get into a game, and I have yet to be convinced that multiplayer-focused games are capable of pulling that off. So it was kind of disappointing to see that Blizzard came up with this world, and all this lore, and all these characters, and then, rather than doing anything with them, chose to make a "just run around and shoot people" game.

So yeah, I was wondering if anybody else felt like that.

It is co-op shooter in the same sense as 2v2 StarCraft is co-op RTS...
It's a freaking 6v6 multiplayer shooter! The first truly CLASS BASED one since Team Fortress 2. So, no, I'm not disappointed that Overwatch is just another co-op shooter because it simply isn't.

Borderlands is a co op shooter? WEll ok yes it is but it is an rpg for the most part especially when I've been playing the game on my own.

Either way I will just wait and see, who knows if it will be any good or not at the moment.

Yeah, it's a bit too much like TF2 except with terrible humour (since it's written by Blizzard, who's humour consists of references to works of fiction and poop). TF2 is also free, so it's even harder to compete there. The only more interesting aspect it has is honestly the wall climbing, but other than that it doesn't seem good enough for a purchase.

Overwatch seems more ability-based than the games you've mentioned (which are based more around gear). I'd liken it more to Warframe (which is significantly more unique than anything you mentioned) with a greater focus on PvP and a different art style.

Overwatch is quite obviously meant to carry on the legacy of TF2. And TF2 is something quite unique on the current market. Still a solid game, but it is aged, and thus limited in what it can do.
Am I disappointed? Not really. Blizzard is the only company who can pull off bringing a new TF2 for a new age.
Though I wish they'd make a more singleplayer, story driven, RPG, but that's just my humble tastes speaking.

Aeshi:
Overwatch seems more ability-based than the games you've mentioned (which are based more around gear). I'd liken it more to Warframe (which is significantly more unique than anything you mentioned) with a greater focus on PvP and a different art style.

Yea, except warframe is almost entirely co-op. Though you are right that it is pretty damn unique and there's nothing really quite like it. The movement too, strikes me as more warframe-esque than, say, TF2. From the looks of the trailer, you can climb walls, jump around, and overall just move faster and more fluidly than your standard shooter, which is a staple of warframe.

If i were to make up a silly way to describe this in terms of current shooters, and i'm going to, you can't stop me. It would be this:

It looks like TF2 and warframe had a baby, abandoned that baby, the baby was adopted and raised lovingly by LOL. That baby is Overwatch.

This is blizzard/Activision we're talking about, they're the biggest cash cows next to EA.

A single player campaign would be nice but I get the feeling that won't come to be.

This is the only FPS I've found remotely interesting in years. (I don't know why you're calling it a "co-op shooter"... I don't think that's what you meant. Borderlands is the only thing you mentioned that fits that description, and Borderlands is not the same genre as any of the other games you mentioned.)

Don't get me wrong, I still don't think it'll top Shadowrun, but it actually looks fun... which is more than I can say for just about everything in the genre for the past 7 years.
Maybe that's unfair... Gotham City Impostors was pretty good, and Brink wasn't too bad. Shame I didn't get to play much of either.

Well it isn't a co-op shooter, it's a multiplayer shooter, so you should be fine.

Hubblignush:
TF2 is also free, so it's even harder to compete there.

Is there news of the business model of Overwatch? I thought that wasn't revealed yet.

DoPo:

Hubblignush:

Is there news of the business model of Overwatch? I thought that wasn't revealed yet.

I'd bet my britches it'll be f2p in some form.

Also genres are dumb so stop arguing about it people.

Actually, I'm fine with it being "yet another" co-op shooter.

I just wish it wasn't riddled with so many cliches and pop-tropes.

Seriously, that cinematic trailer had me rolling my eyes so much I literally got a headache.

oggebogge91:

DoPo:

Hubblignush:

I'd bet my britches it'll be f2p in some form.

That was my hunch, too. Blizzard seem to currently be targeting the widest possible audience, so F2P makes sense, especially with Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm. Also the direct comparisons to this game are TF2 and Dota/LoL/Smite/etc[1] which are all F2P.

And I think they are going to try and make it into an esport, as this seems to be their thing.

At any rate, Hubblignush seemed to suggest it wasn't, so I don't know if there is any new information out there.

[1] my initial impression when I first saw the video "Dota but with shooting", which I amended to "TF2 + Dota" a moment later when TF2 came to mind. I suppose that Warcraft mod for CS comes somewhat closer still, but anyway.

Vigormortis:
Actually, I'm fine with it being "yet another" co-op shooter.

I just wish it wasn't riddled with so many cliches and pop-tropes.

Seriously, that cinematic trailer had me rolling my eyes so much I literally got a headache.

Yeah...but it's Blizzard. It's kind of their style for a while now. Yeah, when I watched the trailer, I watched it with two other people and we all groaned at the "One shot. One kill." line. And the chick was even purple...

The gameplay looks dumbed down. Playing as Pharah, for example, it looks like you'll have a grand total of: WASD movement, two jumps and 3 AoEs. And of those, only the WASD movement, one jump and one AoE can be used more than once every ten seconds. Compared to the good old days when you could have ten different weapons, each with alternate fire modes, plus a variety of vehicles, it's pretty pitiful.

And the maps are no better. You've got a choice of a Payload map (read: stand around the trolley) and two Attack/Defend maps (read: stand on the control point). Remember UT2004 and its Onslaught mode, the nonlinear Control Point game mode with vehicles?

Oh dear, it's a co-operative FPS. We can't possibly have something so unimaginative, so let's make it an action RPG instead.

Spare a thought for those of us who are tired of all AAA games being either a shooter, an action RPG, an action-adventure, a sandbox, a shooter with RPG elements, an action-adventure sandbox, an action-adventure shooter, an open world (read: 'sandbox) RPG, a sandbox shooter or an action-adventure RPG.

I'm not really interested in it. I mean, visually, it's Actiblizzion's we're making games for kids!" aesthetic again. Functionally, it looks very similar to TF2, which I didn't care for.

Character designs are okayish?

Just not interested. "TF2:Actiblizzion Edition" just doesn't do anything for me.

Scarim Coral:
Borderlands is a co op shooter? WEll ok yes it is but it is an rpg for the most part especially when I've been playing the game on my own.

Either way I will just wait and see, who knows if it will be any good or not at the moment.

that and unlike other games it has a set beginning and end...which actually makes it more appropriate for single player, and why I'm a little "meh" about it

also does anyone remember that game Fuse? wasn't that originally supposed to be called "overwatch" and people weren't happy? cause hearing "overwatch" all the time is tripping me out

Vault101:

that and unlike other games it has a set beginning and end...which actually makes it more appropriate for single player, and why I'm a little "meh" about it

also does anyone remember that game Fuse? wasn't that originally supposed to be called "overwatch" and people weren't happy? cause hearing "overwatch" all the time is tripping me out

Overstrike.

IllumInaTIma:
It's a freaking 6v6 multiplayer shooter! The first truly CLASS BASED one since Team Fortress 2. So, no, I'm not disappointed that Overwatch is just another co-op shooter because it simply isn't.

I mean I guess it's not 6vs6 but are we not counting Plaintside 2? That is a heavily class focused game.

IllumInaTIma:

I mean I guess it's not 6vs6 but are we not counting Plaintside 2? That is a heavily class focused game.[/quote]

I had an impression that Planetside 2 was more of an MMO.

Well look at it this way.. it ensures the game will be bought in pairs

IllumInaTIma:

Well Yeah but it's also a class based shooter. Maybe I'm just using the term "class based" wrong. But in Planetside you have multiple classes working together to take over territory. Medic revive and heal, engineers repair are rearm, heavy assaults are the killers , Light assaults are the flankers, infiltrator are the scouts, and I guess you could say MAX's are the siege beakers.

Vault101:

Yep, Insomniac's old game before EA became the publisher of it. I'm honestly convinced that game was more of EA's doing for how it change than Insomniac's, seeing as Insomniacs manners of silliness and over the topness, as well as vibrant colors is in just about every one of the games. Well except the Resistance series. I say that Sunset Overdrive is was what Overwatch/Fuse was originally supposed to be, and by that I mean in terms of aesthetics and looks.

Eddie the head:

IllumInaTIma:

Well Yeah but it's also a class based shooter. Maybe I'm just using the term "class based" wrong. But in Planetside you have multiple classes working together to take over territory. Medic revive and heal, engineers repair are rearm, heavy assaults are the killers , Light assaults are the flankers, infiltrator are the scouts, and I guess you could say MAX's are the siege beakers.

I guess I just wasn't really familiar with Planetside 2. But then again, Planetside 2 feels like it is on a different scale than TF or Overwatch. I'd say that Monday Night Combat is kinda close, but it leans more towards MOBA elements rather than FPS.

Dire Trout:
...and no, not just because we have loads of those already (Team Fortress 2, Borderlands, Loadout, etc., etc.).

I watched the cinematic trailer first, and I liked what I saw--there's this cool-looking, colorful setting, a world with an apparently well-fleshed-out backstory to it, lots of unique characters, and it even has a bunch of impressive female protagonists (well, aside from Purplecleavage McBrokenspine, anyway). I'm watching that first trailer, and I'm all, "yep, I'm into this. If it turns out to be some sort of Mass Effect-ish action RPG thing, I'm sold."

Then I get to the gameplay videos, and...nope. It's another co-op shooter.

Personally, I'm the sort of gamer who, with few exceptions, needs a good immersive story to get into a game, and I have yet to be convinced that multiplayer-focused games are capable of pulling that off. So it was kind of disappointing to see that Blizzard came up with this world, and all this lore, and all these characters, and then, rather than doing anything with them, chose to make a "just run around and shoot people" game.

So yeah, I was wondering if anybody else felt like that.

funny you should say she has a broken spine.
From what I read she might actually have had her spine broke and reformed through unwanted invasive surgery.
I checked her design and it looks as if her arms and legs were replaced or surgically altered and it'd make sense you need to brace your gun if you are a living weapon and her plaid skin tone is the result of the slowed heart rate and reminds me of a old stand up bit.

Yeah didn't think of it that way.
And I like the class based shooter genre... well that being battlefront and tf2 the others I cannot stomach I was just hoping to play with these characters.
It's also good to mention that and this is the most important part, these chars would not exist as they were if not for the design of the game.
They were meant to be like the mercs from ft2 in that they have personality and a instantly recognizable

DoPo:

Hubblignush:

It wasn't, he's just being presumptuous.

Neronium:

Vault101:

Yep, Insomniac's old game before EA became the publisher of it. I'm honestly convinced that game was more of EA's doing for how it change than Insomniac's, seeing as Insomniacs manners of silliness and over the topness, as well as vibrant colors is in just about every one of the games. Well except the Resistance series. I say that Sunset Overdrive is was what Overwatch/Fuse was originally supposed to be, and by that I mean in terms of aesthetics and looks.

Again it was called "Overstrike." And I don't know about that games can, and do, change a lot in development. Ratchet and Clank started out as a girl hitting people with a stick. And I think it had more of an "anime" style.

Eddie the head:

Again it was called "Overstrike." And I don't know about that games can, and do, change a lot in development. Ratchet and Clank started out as a girl hitting people with a stick. And I think it had more of an "anime" style.

While things can indeed change in development, even Ratchet and Clank's start in development sounded more colorful and wacky than how Fuse ended up turning out in the end. That's why I still think there was more publisher presence when EA took command of the project.

DoPo:

Yeah...but it's Blizzard. It's kind of their style for a while now. Yeah, when I watched the trailer, I watched it with two other people and we all groaned at the "One shot. One kill." line. And the chick was even purple...

But that's what kinda bothers me about it.

Blizzard has some amazingly talented people under their roof; notably artists. That they still, to this very day, rip most of their ideas, settings, designs, and overall aesthetics from a myriad of pop-culture sources just irks me. They have the talent to churn out incredible, original creations.

Don't get me wrong. I love (most) of Blizzard's games. Hell, I'm an old-school Diablo lover and had Starcraft as one of my first introductions to RTS. I just feel that they, at times, waste the talent they have. That's all.

Vigormortis:

DoPo:

But that's what kinda bothers me about it.

Blizzard has some amazingly talented people under their roof; notably artists. That they still, to this very day, rip most of their ideas, settings, designs, and overall aesthetics from a myriad of pop-culture sources just irks me. They have the talent to churn out incredible, original creations.

Don't get me wrong. I love (most) of Blizzard's games. Hell, I'm an old-school Diablo lover and had Starcraft as one of my first introductions to RTS. I just feel that they, at times, waste the talent they have. That's all.

I don't necessarily disagree. I'm just saying I'm kind of used to it by now, I suppose.

The Co-op/Team shooter discussion aside - yeah, I'm disappointed as hell. I actually wasn't expecting any new IP, I thought they had just canned Titan and there wasn't even so much as a rumor that they'd been working on yet another IP. So I figured the announcement would be Legacy of the Void and that'd be it. So my expectations were low as hell already.

But another shooter? Also, it's incredibly derivative. The trailer and the world etc. look like a Pixar movie, but less interesting, and it's pretty damn obvious they ripped off TF2 in both gameplay, classes, humor to some degree and, importantly, style and substance.

Watching the trailer I recoginzed an Engineer clone, a Heavy clone, a Demo guy clone, a Scout clone and I don't even play TF2 so I probably missed some.

Also some character designs they seem to have ripped of WildStar.

Blizzard have always taken ideas, inspirations from others and refined them, most notably Warcraf and Starcraft from Warhammer and 40k. They did it well and I enjoyed their games, hell, I played WoW for 7 years. But with Overwatch they took stuff from a ton of other games and movies and it's very obvious.

I don't enjoy shooters in general much anymore, especially not team, co-op etc. shooters and I don't like team based games like LoL, Dota etc. so there was no chance at all that I would enjoy Overwatch. I'm not critizing it in that regard, just because it's not my thing doesn't mean it's a bad game, it could be amazing for all I know.

But watching the trailer I couldn't help but think "so Activision wanted a TF2 of their own". So kinda disappointed they are making YET another shooter and such an uninspiring and unoriginal one.

Also, and that's purely subjective - I don't like some of the characters shown in the trailer.
I don't like Tracer's accent, Widowmaker (seriously?), I don't like her name and judging from the trailer she's mute? Like Silent from MGS5. Reaper ... wow, original... looks and seems like a 12 year old's idea of badass, all black and red and pew pew guns and get it, he's called Reaper, like Death, woah!
The gorilla, forgot his name, seems somewhat interesting, although the thing with the glasses... seriously? He's a giant gorrilla in battle armor and he wears very easily losable and fragile glasses in combat? But yeah, that's nitpicking.
A cliche asian warrior type, some dwarf that builds/repairs his turrets - Engineer - by hitting them with a giant hammer, cause that's how that works...

Overall, the game seems aimed at a younger audience. Blizzard game usually have a somewhat comic-y graphics style, it's not that. It's more design of the characters, also the humor displayed in the trailer.

In short - or well, long - not a fan.

No.

I like shooters, this looks like great fun. Get a few mates online together and it looks to be a damn good time.

panador:
Widowmaker (seriously?), I don't like her name and judging from the trailer she's mute?

No, she's not. Not sure if it makes it better, though - the gameplay trailer had her say "One shot. One kill." Yeah.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked