VIsual Novels with *Unique* Art style

I just finished the first Danganronpa [please no spoilers for the other games] and it is a very good game, with sadly some major issues [mostly plot-holes].
However the thing that made me play the game is the unique art style it have. I really digging it:

I have plans to play next Steins;Gate as well which of course it have some beatiful and unique art style as well:

and then there are some specific adult VN I love how the characters look and feel with their animations:

So can you suggest to me unique looking Visuals Novels like the ones I posted?

Thank you

P.S.
Please don't post weird looking VN like the Skeleton and Meat VNs I saw in the past....

Unique looking? Check Everlasting Summer. Not that the art style is the core point (although backgrounds certainly are), but you can trust it to at least look a bit odd, and it's free anyway.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/331470/

I always liked the art style in Forest and other VN's of the company:

Looks like a story book, a really fucked up story book, but nice.

I have a couple.
But I see you have "Dorei to no Seikatsu -Teaching Feeling-."
I like it, but it could have had more in general.

A steampunk VN, where characters are such iconic figures from science, like Tesla, Tesla, and Tesla.
Did I mention Tesla?

Also, while you get scenes like that, the meat is more from the second image. At least from what I've read.

Not so much a single game, but the publisher LittleWitch usually goes by the style, which is drawn by Ooyari Ashito.
He's a pretty damn dedicated guy, I'll say. Plus, I really like his style, it's... gentle, light, and very different from the current style of things.

It has some nice romance. As long as you can stand the character design... which I love, because it's more my thing.

I guess Sharin No Kuni is pretty unique now that I think about it. Everything is done in watercolour paint, even the characters have very small shades of watercolour involved if you look closely.

Of course the story involves a decent amount of paint and sunflowers but i'd expect nothing less from Akabeisoft2 who tend to take story themes to the next level.

Give it a look, i'm kinda expecting it to show up on Steam at random one day because their other game i've played, G-Senjo no Maou just dropped onto Steam out of nowhere. Both are really great VNs, G-Senjo especially if you're a mystery fan. Buy the voiced version too, I dunno why there's a no voice version because the voices are fuckin' top tier and no other Sekai Project published game has that option. Maybe there's a patch out there somewhere you could cheese in? Wouldn't be surprised.

Hmm, I don't consider these unique but that may be because of my vast anime experience, though they're definitely beautiful art styles. Well, this just means I'll have an easy time recommending stuff.

Danganronpa is not a pure visual novel like Steins btw, so I shall start wih another visual novel hybrid;

Tears to Tiara 2. It is a visual novel srpg hybrid with one of the best stories ever. You know how people say they wish jrpgs were epic like back in the day, well, this game is that and more. The visual novel is the majority of the game and the cast of voice actors is godlike, so definitely give it a go.

Now on pure visual novels, Saya no uta for horror as well as really unique designs. Clannad is also worh it but beware it'll make grown men cry. Finally, a sleeper hit is Harvest December on the 3DS, it is rather plain but you get absorbed before you realize.

Dreiko:
Hmm, I don't consider these unique but that may be because of my vast anime experience, though they're definitely beautiful art styles. Well, this just means I'll have an easy time recommending stuff.

Danganronoa is not a pure visual novel like Steins btw, so I shall start wih another visual novel hybrid;

Tears to Tiara 2. It is a visual novel srpg hybrid with one of the best stories ever. You know how people say they wish jrogs were epic like back in the day, well, this game is that and more. The visual novel is the majority of the game and the cast of voice actors is godlike, so definitely give it a go.

Now on pure visual novels, Saya no uta for horror as well as really unique designs. Clannad is also worh it but beware it'll make grown men cry. Finally, a sleeper hit is Harvest December on the 3DS, it is rather plain but you get absorbed before you realize.

That why I have wrote *Unique* like that, because, well, they are still Very typical Anime character in reality. I just like the "twist" for the way they were drawn.

Saya no Uta isn't have something unique for its art style, but it is one of the best VN I ever played even you make only two choices in the whole game.

Clannad......I hope to be a good game, but it doesn't have nothing unique what so ever.
It look so Anime it make me hurt.

Hehe, this is what I mean, I've been watching anime for something like 23 years so all styles look 100% anime to me. Steins gate or Dangan is not at all less anime than clannad, they're just different flavors of anime but both are 100% equally as much anime. Anime isn't just the few shows that are popular. It entails a ton of different styles.

If you like games over visual novels, I would suggest 999 or Corpse Party; both have wonderful styles and character designs, as well as being fantastic games.

For a pure, attractive style though, I would personally first go for anything by Key; if you want something easier to access though (especially in English) I HAVE to suggest Code: Realize.

StormShaun:
I have a couple.
I like it, but it could have had more... then

A steampunk VN, where characters are such iconic figures from science, like Tesla, Tesla, and Tesla.
Did I mention Tesla?

Also, while you get scenes like that, the meat is more from the second image. At least from what I've read.

Not so much a single game, but the publisher LittleWitch usually goes by the style, which is drawn by Ooyari Ashito.
He's a pretty damn dedicated guy, I'll say. Plus, I really like his style, it's... gentle, light, and very different from the current style of things.

It has some nice romance. As long as you can stand the character design... which I love, because it's more my thing.

Eiyuu Senki is my fav Ashito drawn game, he really went nuts with something like 70+ different chars who all somehow manage to be unique. Unless someone dislikes his tendency to make a lot of lolis, I can't see why they'd not like that artstyle.

Littlewitch Romanesque was great too, of course.

Sheria:
If you like games over visual novels, I would suggest 999 or Corpse Party; both have wonderful styles and character designs, as well as being fantastic games.

For a pure, attractive style though, I would personally first go for anything by Key; if you want something easier to access though (especially in English) I HAVE to suggest Code: Realize.

so is that a video game at all my friend or just a visual novel which you are just reading the story?

also thats the most generic and animu girly game/visual novel i have seen.

StormShaun:
I have a couple.
I like it, but it could have had more... then

Did I mention Tesla?

Ah yes, I know the artist of the Littlewitch games. Very different indeed with respect.

With that said I decided to post other "unique" looking VNs just for your enjoyment:

Hope to enjoy them ^^

B-Cell:

Sheria:

so is that a video game at all my friend or just a visual novel which you are just reading the story?

also thats the most generic and animu girly game/visual novel i have seen.

It's an otomege of course it's girly lol. And yeah, it's a visual novel.

inu-kun:

At first I didn't thought much of it, but then I saw other images as well.
Look pretty. Is it an RPG/VN Hybrid?

SweetShark:

inu-kun:

No, regular VN, also rather short (6-8 hours if I recall), but has multiple choices (though I'd recommend a walkthrough), be warend that there's lolicon in it though you can argue it's "technically" legal.

Also something I've been wondering for a long time, wasn't this song in the game also played in Heroes 3 for the forest faction? Does it have an official name?

inu-kun:

SweetShark:

inu-kun:

No, regular VN, also rather short (6-8 hours if I recall), but has multiple choices (though I'd recommend a walkthrough), be warend that there's lolicon in it though you can argue it's "technically" legal.

Also something I've been wondering for a long time, wasn't this song in the game also played in Heroes 3 for the forest faction? Does it have an official name?

Do you mean Heroes of Might & Magic 3?
Wow, I need to search to tell you for sure.
And to think this one is one of the best strategy games I ever played...

SweetShark:

inu-kun:

SweetShark:

Do you mean Heroes of Might & Magic 3?
Wow, I need to search to tell you for sure.
And to think this one is one of the best strategy games I ever played...

Found it, it was Heroes 4 (I actually preferred the hero system in that game)

It's not just me that hears the similarities, right?

Quartett has a unique art style. It also has a rather unique presentation in that it doesn't have the usual talking portraits before a background but instead has a comic book style set up and unique artwork for every scene. The art style is what I would describe as, feathery.

Hhm... I suppose Swan Song might also be considered to have a unique art style, though the plot is... rather severe.

And of course there's always Galaxy Angel, although some might call the art style overly simple, I think it still counts as being unique.

(And no, I won't explain what's going on here)

There's also the very very good short VN, Juniper's Knot. Admittedly most of the story takes place in one spot so there's not much variation but... I guess I'm just too attached to it to not recommend it.

There's also Highschool Romance on Steam, which has a very different art style than is normal, it's the first I've seen to put such a heavy emphasis on a more American style of characters.

And last but not least I have Dues Machina Demonbane. It has that sort of... Gothic? anime style? I think some of why it's unique is due to it having different subject matter from usual VN's (In that its plot is derived from the Cthulhu Mythos)

Quartette is definitely drawn by Ashito who we brought up earlier. Adorable as ever.

Al Azif is in the new nitroplus fighter btw, she's hype.

Specter Von Baren:

*Pics of different kind of VNs*

Yeah, I had my eyes of "Highschool Romance" just for looking so different from the other Anime looking ones. I hope to be good at least when I start playing it.

I guess I can suggest other one as well:

Specter Von Baren:
Snip of passion

I
I am quite speechless by the range coincidences.

Not only did you post a style that I posted and completely love (I'm surprised I haven't played Quartett! yet).
But then you also posted the Visual Novel series that I love, and that will always sit on my #1 pedestal (Galaxy Angel).
Yet wait right there. Then you also posted the picture of that series, which is not only of my favourite girl, but also my... *ahem* "waifu." (Mint)

If you think it ends there.
The middle word of your name, "Von", is the name of a RP character on here, and my D&D character.

Nice~
And hopefully that didn't come off as weird.

SweetShark:

Yeah, I had my eyes of "Highschool Romance" just for looking so different from the other Anime looking ones. I hope to be good at least when I start playing it.

Highschool Romance is...
How do I say it?
Entertaining, if you package it with a Youtuber.
By itself, well, I haven't played it myself, so I can't say. The writing wasn't too impressive though.

If you want to watch a little of it. Here's a video. (It's how I watched it.)

SweetShark:

I suppose if I were to describe Highschool Romance it would be, "Baby's First VN" as Storm said, it's nothing paticularly extraordinary but I'm the kind of person that finds a simple story does not mean a bad one.

StormShaun:

I
I am quite speechless by the range coincidences.

Not only did you post a style that I posted and completely love (I'm surprised I haven't played Quartett! yet).
But then you also posted the Visual Novel series that I love, and that will always sit on my #1 pedestal (Galaxy Angel).
Yet wait right there. Then you also posted the picture of that series, which is not only of my favourite girl, but also my... *ahem* "waifu." (Mint)

If you think it ends there.
The middle word of your name, "Von", is the name of a RP character on here, and my D&D character.

I emphatically recommend you play Quartett, it's hilarious and it does things differently in many cases. One of my favorite scenes is an early one where you get the cliche "boy run into girl and touches boob" thing but one of your responses can lead to Phill (Our protagonist) taking out a diagram to illustrate why the situation happened "scientifically".

I'm honestly surprised Galaxy Angel hasn't had an official release in America. It's really rather baffling considering it has actual gameplay elements and no H scenes.

I can recommend several other VN's if you want, the ones I put here are just the ones that fell under the OP's condition of a unique art style.

P.S.
And yes, Mint is love.

Norn 9 is another interesting work, apparently Nobuo Uematsu did the music. Though it's an otomege which is not sold as one, which kinda turned me off when I looked into it cause I had different expectations. I am fine playing otomege and love Hakuoki but deception rubs me the wrong way. If anyone here tried it they can offer a better opinion on it.

Ah yes, I realized I knew of two other VN's with unique art styles.

The eponymous Saya no Uta.

Similar to why I put Demonbane here, I think much of the uniqueness comes more from the unique subject matter than from the art style.

Also there's the different series by Deep Sea Prisoner.

The Gray Garden

Mogeko Castle

and Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea

Although they're ostensibly RPG Maker games, Deep Sea Prisoner's works are really visual novels that use turn based combat for flavor (Any actual gameplay in his games is really easy).

Specter Von Baren:

I emphatically recommend you play Quartett, it's hilarious and it does things differently in many cases. One of my favorite scenes is an early one where you get the cliche "boy run into girl and touches boob" thing but one of your responses can lead to Phill (Our protagonist) taking out a diagram to illustrate why the situation happened "scientifically".

I'm honestly surprised Galaxy Angel hasn't had an official release in America. It's really rather baffling considering it has actual gameplay elements and no H scenes.

I can recommend several other VN's if you want, the ones I put here are just the ones that fell under the OP's condition of a unique art style.

P.S.
And yes, Mint is love.

I love the art style, so that's definitely on the list.
Which hopefully, I will get to, because I have a lot on my computer I have not read yet.
I love the LittleWitch style, it's just so light and adorable.

Onto the serious topic, yeah, I'm surprised as well.
Personally, it would be damn amazing if it was officially released, heck, I'd even support a Kickstarter... probably one of the higher tiers too, because I love it just that much. It's the annual VN series I play, the romance and gameplay just make it worthwhile.

As for more VNs, sure, shoot em' over on my messages. I've played quite a darn lot though, but still, it'll be great to see some more stuff. :D

Specter Von Baren:

P.S.
And yes, Mint is love.

Nah, I don't have a problem at all. I am not the type of person I will get angry if someone want to post something [not so] unrelated with the Thread.

Then I must start with what I consider the best VN I've ever read, Da Capo 2.

This, this is the best VN I've ever seen, it is superbly written. One of the easiest ways for me to explain how this is so well written is this. The male characters (Wataru and Suginami) are actually interesting! Rarely does a (romance) VN develop the male characters much or even have more than one, but in Da Capo 2 both of the male friends of the protagonist are funny, and interesting.

All of the characters in fact, feel like the kind of people you'd want to be your friends in real life, and the story doesn't knock you over the head with things, you can deduce what characters are talking about with each other when they aren't on screen from the snippets you're given.

I can't recommend this VN enough, if you like VN's then you must play this.

Next is Princess Waltz

While it has its issues (I think the ending could have used more variance for your choices, and the gameplay is unique and interesting but you eventually reach a point where it becomes too easy once you've level'd up enough) it has two of the best fight scenes I've ever seen, that rival or surpass a lot of famous mainstream anime fights.

Next is My Girlfriend is the President

This is a very silly VN, you are not meant to take the main plot seriously and I respect a story that knows what it wants. Some of its jokes can be considered low brow but I find it charming and it actually has some surprisingly emotional scenes near the end of the routes. This is not something you play for lots of choices or gameplay, this is a relaxation VN.

And last but not least Yumina the Ethereal

Holy crap I wish this wasn't a VN. I know that sounds strange but it ties in with why I chose this pic to represent the game. I love the gameplay in this VN. The gameplay is incredibly unique and refreshing for me and I want to see another game with this kind of gameplay and so I wish it could be more mainstream so I could get that. The plot is also pretty good, I wouldn't say its anything incredibly out there, but it's a good one and the story is well written. It also has very good music.

Another great one is Full Metal Daemon Muramasa, sadly no translation exists yet afaik. It's a mix of olden traditional Japan themes and mech suits.

I would suggest if you want a completely unique Visual Novel you should definitely check out Kara No Shoujo by Innocent Grey some of their cgs are absolutely beautiful
Here is an example

Fair warning it is not the cheeriest of Visual Novels
slight sob

Oh I would also say that I guess Type/Moons stuff counts as being unique because you can easily tell by the cgs alone that you are playing one of their visual novels

Dreiko:
Another great one is Full Metal Daemon Muramasa, sadly no translation exists yet afaik. It's a mix of olden traditional Japan themes and mech suits.

Hhm... I thought that one was kinda... er... extreme from what I heard, perhaps I misheard though.

springheeljack:

Oh I would also say that I guess Type/Moons stuff counts as being unique because you can easily tell by the cgs alone that you are playing one of their visual novels

*sigh* I'm still so depressed over Fate/Extra CCC not being brought over to the states.

Specter Von Baren:

Dreiko:

Hhm... I thought that one was kinda... er... extreme from what I heard, perhaps I misheard though.

springheeljack:

*sigh* I'm still so depressed over Fate/Extra CCC not being brought over to the states.

Extreme is right, it's the best kind of extreme. Hype fights, extremely loveable eponymous heroine, just perfect. Issue is it uses lots of archaic kanji due to the themes being of historic Japan so the jp proficiency requirements are super high.

Oh and psp is region free so you can import CCC as well as tiger Colosseum. Saber in a lion suit fighting with a piece of ham steak is the best ever.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked