"The Last of Us" Original or Remastered?

I'll admit it: I haven't got around to playing "The Last of Us" yet. I've heard so many people say that it's a great game, and I'm probably going to play it soon.

I have a copy of the game for PS3, but I'm also going to be buying a PS4 soon (mostly for Uncharted 4, which I haven't played yet either). I also have what I assume to be a fully working copy of the game for PS3 which I've never gotten around to playing.

Should I bother playing the original now for comparison or should I just sell it and get Remastered instead? I know Remastered comes with the "Left Behind" DLC included, which is a point in its favor. What are your opinions on the two versions of the game?

The remastered version is better thanks to the higher framerate making aiming feel much better. That and the ps4 controller blowing the ps3 controller out of the water.

It is objectively and subjectively better to go remastered. Even if you somehow despise the higher framerate (you monster!), they give you the option to limit it to 30fps for alleged better shadows...definition? I dunno. But seriously, it is the better option from every angle. I generally dislike those remaster cash grabs that many publishers do these days, but naughty dog don't skimp on effort here. I'd say even now it holds up graphically with what they've done for it.

Thanks for the advice. Speaking of Naughty Dog remasters, is Nathan Drake collection worth it either?

johnsirett:
Thanks for the advice. Speaking of Naughty Dog remasters, is Nathan Drake collection worth it either?

Yes, it's a great update, all of Blue Points work usually is. I'd say it's an even better remaster than TLoU Remastered.

If I had to choose, then the remaster. The first time I saw the 60FPS cutscenes I was completely irritated by their smoothness.

That being said: I still hate this game in both versions with the intensity of a thousand suns. I'd use the money to get the Uncharted Collection every time.

Yeah, no point in bothering with the PS3 version unless you're really into comparing and contrasting for your own amusement. If you're getting UC4 then the ND remaster is also well worth it, especially if you've never played the first three.

Then it's just a matter of asking, which of them you'll play first. I'd probably start in order of initial release, because you can kind of feel the progression of Naughty Dog as a developer; perhaps even more-so with the benefit of 60fps.

Having just recently played through the PS3 version, I'd say, play the PS3 version. It's still one of the best looking PS3 games.

I would play which ever one is cheaper for you. If you can sell your PS3 copy and buy the Remastered version and break even for the most part (don't forget to include the value of the DLC), get the Remastered version. I don't feel the 60fps is worth it for a Naughty Dog game personally because the camera is so sluggish (in TLoU and Uncharted) that the better framerate doesn't really make a difference. Also, remember the Remaster isn't some huge improvement graphically either, Naughty Dog spent the vast majority of dev time just getting the game to run on PS4 (due to PS3's cell architecture) vs improving the game.

The remaster of course, 60fps is a big improvement if you ask me.

Crash Bandicoot is the best version.

Yoshi178:

You can play Crash Bandicoot in Uncharted 4.

So you get to play as Nathan Drake playing a video game.

Dirty Hipsters:

Yoshi178:

You can play Crash Bandicoot in Uncharted 4.

So you get to play as Nathan Drake playing a video game.

only 1 level. all the nathan drake stuff is crap. that's why the guy takes a break to sit down and play a level from a game that's actually good.

Yoshi178:
only 1 level. all the nathan drake stuff is crap. that's why the guy takes a break to sit down and play a level from a game that's actually good.

Crash is like a toy compared to The Last of Us.

Skatalite:

Yoshi178:

Crash is like a toy compared to The Last of Us.

probably why Crash is actually fun then. Toys are fun. :D

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.