All DSi and 3DS purchases come with a one-year warranty, and can only be bought directly from Nintendo.
Taking a leaf out of Apple's book, which has been selling certified refurbished products for years, Nintendo has made a range of "Authentic Nintendo Refurbished Products" available on its official US online store. Several variants of the 3DS and DSi XL systems are available for purchase. They come with a 1 year warranty (the same warranty you'll get on a brand new system) and can only be purchased directly from Nintendo. A list of the systems available and their price is as follows:
- Aqua Blue Nintendo 3DS - $129.99
- Aqua Blue Nintendo 3DS w/ The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - $169.98
- Midnight Purple Nintendo 3DS - $129.99
- Midnight Purple Nintendo 3DS w/ The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - $169.99
- Metallic Rose Nintendo DSi XL - $99.99
- Metallic Rose Nintendo DSi XL w/Mario Kart DS - $129.99
- Midnight Blue Nintendo DSi XL - $99.99
- Midnight Blue Nintendo DSi XL w/Mario Kart DS - $129.98
According to Nintendo, "Authentic Nintendo Refurbished Products are the only refurbished products in the market that have been cleaned, tested, and inspected to meet Nintendo's high standards." They are guaranteed to be fully functional, but may have minor cosmetic blemishes.
The current RRP for a brand new 3DS is $169.99, and the DSi XL retails for $129.99, meaning the refurbished systems will save you about $30. Many videogame outlets such as Gamestop already offer deals on used "refurbished" systems, but buying from Nintendo seems to offer you a bigger discount, the promise of a 1 year warranty, and a bigger assurance that the thing will actually work properly.
Source: Nintendo Online Store