The 2013 Indie Speed Run is a 48-hour game jam with judges including Peter Molyneux, Markus "Notch" Persson, Suda51, Ron Gilbert and a whole bunch of other folks you may have heard of.
If you followed along with last year's inaugural Indie Speed Run you already know the score, but for those of you just joining the party it goes something like this: From September 1 to 30, indie developers who join the jam can choose a 48-hour window to create a game based on an assigned theme and element. Once the 48 hours is up, the game will be uploaded for harsh judgment at the hands of a panel of game industry celebrities.
And I'm not talking quotation-mark "celebrities" like that Paul Goodman guy, either. Get a load of this list:
- Peter Molyneux (Fable 1-3, Godus, Curiosity, Black & White)
- Markus "Notch" Persson (Minecraft)
- Suda51 (No More Heroes, Killer7)
- Ron Gilbert (Monkey Island, The Cave)
- Brian Fargo (Fallout, Wasteland 1&2)
- Kim Swift (Portal, Left 4 Dead, Quantum Conundrum)
- Dan Pinchbeck (Dear Ester, Amnesia)
- Matthew Davis and Justin Ma (FTL)
- Trent Oster (BioWare co-founder, Baldur's Gate)
- Brian Provinciano (Retro City Rampage)
- Jason Rohrer (Castle Doctrine)
- Ian Dallas (Unfinished Swan)
- Andrew Spinks (Terraria)
Each judge will pick one game from the submissions received, and the Escapist Community (that's you guys) will vote for a People's Choice winner as well. Each of the Chosen Ones will then be sent over to Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw, he of the funny accent and angry disposition, who will pick The Big Winnah. And yes, there will be prizes, including a $2500 award for the best of the best!
Indie Speed Run pre-registration is now open and will remain so until August 30; the event itself runs through September, and all entries will be available on The Escapist beginning in October. To learn more about the jam or toss your name into the hat, mosey on over to indiespeedrun.com.