All of Battleborn's post-launch heroes will be free.
Battleborn is Gearbox's take on the increasingly crowded MOBA market, opting to take things into first-person rather than the third-person or top-down antics of competitors Smite and League of Legends. Just like those games, however, it does have a fairly expansive roster of heroes. The good news is that Gearbox has detailed its post-launch DLC plans, and the current plan is for all heroes to be released free, with paid DLC consisting of cosmetics and additional singleplayer content.
Here's a brief summary:
- Five new playable heroes will release sometime after launch - completely free - for all platforms, bringing the total roster to 30.
- Additional competitive multiplayer modes, maps, balance updates, and community features will also be released in free updates.
- Five new add-on packs will release sometime after launch. Each pack will cost $4.99 and include a PvE Story Operation, exclusive skins and taunts.
- All five packs can be purchased as part of a Season Pass for $19.99, saving players $5 if they plan to buy all five packs individually.
- A Digital Deluxe Edition of Battleborn will be available for $74.99 and includes the game plus the Season Pass and additional cosmetic customizations.
The first of the post-launch heroes to be released will be "Alani", a member of the Eldrid faction who was raised as a healer, but forced to be a warrior.
Battleborn launches on PS4, Xbox One and PC on May 3, 2016.