Having trouble viewing our videos? Here are some troubleshooting steps:
- Many problems are caused by ad blockers and NoScript.
Our video player includes ads. If an ad blocking program blocks our player from loading the ads, the player may not finish loading. If you're having trouble playing our videos and are running an ad blocker, try turning it off and checking if the video plays. If it does, that's the problem, and we suggest disabling the ad blocker from running on our site entirely. Without the ads, we can't pay our staff and writers, the people who star in the videos, or for the bandwidth to stream them to you. For those reasons, we will not offer further assistance in getting our videos to play to anyone running an ad blocker. Here is a list of domains that host scripts that are important for our site functionality and video playback:
- Make sure you have the latest version of your web browser
We test our player in the latest versions of IE, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari on both Windows (XP, Vista, and 7) and OSX. We generally do not test or support other browsers, whether that be older versions, beta versions, other operating systems, or other browsers entirely. If you're having trouble, we suggest getting the latest release version of Chrome. (There are unfortunately several known issues relating to HTML5 playback in Firefox at this time.)
- Check your DNS
If you're getting "Stream not found" errors, that means your computer can't connect to the video files, which are hosted elsewhere. This seems to happen the most for people in New Zealand and Australia, and often indicates a DNS problem for an entire area or ISP. If this is happening to you, you might want to try Google Public DNS, DNS Advantage, or OpenDNS to see if this fixes the problem.
- Disable Media Servers
We only support viewing our videos through our player, via our Boxee application, or our podcast feeds (for certain series). If you're running any other program to display or directly download our videos you may get identified as a bot, and no longer be able to play our videos at all. Please don't do this. If every video appears to be a trailer advertising our different videos, this is what is happening to you. First offenses will be removed automatically after about a week.
- Restart your browser
If you find that the video is playing, but it's skipping or stuttering, you may need to restart your browser (or in extreme cases, your PC). A memory leak in your browser or many other programs running can cause playback problems.
- Delete any old cookies and your browser cache
We use web cookies to save information about your session, but occasionally the cookies can get corrupted for various reasons. In your web browser, try deleting any cookies for the following domains: escapistmagazine.com, warcry.com, themis-media.com, and liverail.com. Then clear your browser cache, restart your web browser, and see if the videos will load. Also, make sure you aren't blocking any new cookies from any of these domains, as that may cause issues as well.
- Find out if your ISP can connect
Internet service providers are usually great about working with their customers to make sure any issues aren't with their local connection. Call up your ISP and ask them if they are able to load our videos, and if they can help figure out why you may not be able to. If they can't play the video, then please have them get in touch with us and we can work with them to troubleshoot the issue.
- Let us know
Finally, if you have checked all of the above, please contact us with the following information and we'll try to help:
- Your OS and browser version.
- Your ISP and general location in the world.
- Any browser add-ons, firewalls, or other internet security software you are running.
- Is the problem happening with multiple different browsers on the same computer?
- If there is another computer available, are you having the same problem on that one?
- Are any nearby friends, or school/work computers, having (or not having) the same problem?
- Can you run a traceroute to video.themis-media.com, streaming.video.themis-media.com, and static.liverail.com?
- If possible, a screenshot of the problem. If there are error messages, one that shows them is best.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I post your video on my site?
Definitely! You can use the embed code displayed under our player to post it anywhere that supports video embeds.
- Do you have an RSS feed?
Yes we do. Our RSS feeds are embedded into our page headers, and any modern browser should be able to find them. For more information, and a list of feeds, see our RSS page. Please note that our RSS feeds are intended for news readers, and do not include video content. Some videos may also have podcasts available, which you'll see listed under the player. All videos have podcasts available for Publisher's Club members.
- You should review _____! / You should do a show about _____!
If you have suggestions, or if you have a product you'd like us to cover, please let us know using either the contact emails within our videos, or through our contact form.
- Who controls the content of the videos?
The video creator(s), with some feedback from our editors, determine the subject matter and content. Some videos are produced entirely by the Escapist staff, but most are produced by independant creators.
- Do advertisers impact the videos?
Nope. The advertising on our sites and in the videos is independent of the content. Our editors usually don't even know what will be advertised at any given time, and our writers and video creaters never do.
- I have an idea for a video series.
You're welcome to contact us if you're interested in having us publish your video. We generally require at least one sample video for consideration.
- Can I download your video to my computer/iPod/Zune/_____?
Full video podcast feeds are available to all members of the Publisher's Club. A few other series also have podcasts available to everyone. With those exceptions, we don't provide our videos for download.
- Can I upload your video to YouTube/_____?
Absolutely not - any reproduction of our content is forbidden without our express written consent. If you'd like to discuss alternate/additional publishing arrangements, please feel free to Contact Us. Please note that we will send takedown requests to any services or web hosts we find with a copy of our content.
- I don't like your player. Why don't you just use YouTube/Quicktime/_____?
The reason we're able to provide original video is because we pay our content creators (writers and video creators). In order to cover that cost, and make sure we can keep doing it, we run ads on our pages and in the videos themselves. Many third party services pay such a trivial amount that they are unable to support production costs for anything that involves multiple people (except at the highest traffic extremes) - which makes it significantly more difficult for us to support new lower-traffic content. We do however upload videos to The Escapist Youtube channel after a slight delay for the initial traffic influx (~1 week) that pays for future tasty videos.
- 2015-08-20 - Player will detect if Flash is disable/blocked and serve html5 video instead
- 2015-08-20 - Added performance metrics tracking
- 2015-08-11 - Patch issue where player would not relinquish controls
- 2015-07-13 - Added hotkeys to player
- 2015-07-13 - Patched bug where player wouldn't respect autoplay pref
- 2015-07-10 - AD integration updated
- 2015-07-09 - Update Help Page: Firefox recommendation to Chrome, remove notes about Flash issues (as the new player is exclusively HTML5)
- 2015-05-06 - VPAID bug patch
- 2015-05-01 - Player size toggle
- 2015-05-01 - Volume will now be persistent
- 2015-05-01 - Player can now remember users preferences via cookie
- 2015-04-30 - Improved Layout of Mobile Player
- 2015-04-30 - Added quality selector
- 2015-04-30 - Updated Ad Plugin
- 2015-04-30 - Updated Core VideoJS files 4.6 -> 4.12
- 2015-04-28 - Reduced the amount background requests from the player
- 2015-04-22 - Fixed issue where failed response from ad server caused the player to fail to load